Friday, February 6, 2009

Sparkles

Yesterday morning I went for my walk as usual. I have grown to love my morning routine: I get up at 5:15am, put on my walking gear and shoes, scarf, coat, gloves, hat, put in the ear plugs, and turn on my audio book as I step out the front door. It is still dark out this time of year, and the birds are not yet awake. I only hear them on weekends, when I walk later in the morning than during the week. I usually don't see anybody on my half-hour walk. Not one person or car. Some houses have lights on inside, people just waking up, maybe getting ready for work. It is so peaceful, eerie at times.
Coming back from my walk I always look forward to that first cup of coffee, the one that tastes better than any other time...
It has been cold, especially the past week, but no snow. We are not giving up hope yet, though! Jim said that if we do not get any snow within the next few weeks, we will get into the car and start driving north...
I am just glad we are not in the same situation as those poor people in Kentucky, that are without power and might be for a few more weeks.

When I stepped outside yesterday morning, I was awestruck by the view: there were, as Kaitlyn put it later, sparkles everywhere! It was not snow, and it wasn't ice either... I am not quite sure what it was, doesn't matter at this point, but it was absolutely beautiful, magical. Everywhere I looked I saw the tiny silver stars: on the grass, the houses, the trees and bushes...simply breathtaking!
I especially enjoyed my walk that morning.
Coming back and continuing my usual routine (coffee, feed Zander, shower, get KK ready, etc.), I forgot about the sparkling beauty outside.
As we left for school and work, they were still there. It was the first thing that KK noticed as I drove out the driveway:
"Look, mommy, sparkles everywhere!
But, how did they get onto the roofs of the houses?!?"