Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Freddy returns

The day of the Buddywalk, how exciting! For some reason I need to go online, something I never do on a Saturday morning, expecially since it's just about time to wake up the family: feed and dress Alexander, wake up Kaitlyn and choose her outfit (it's cold out and she would surely pick her most summery dress), get breakfast going. Then wake up Jim, who is Mr. Grouch in the mornings. He needs about 1/2 hour to get ready and out the door we go.

When I get downstairs, where the computer is, I see Hootie staring at the corner. This is in and of itself not a strange phenomenon: Hootie is known for staring at, and chasing, invisible things. For this reason I don't pay any attention to him and go about my business on the computer. Just as I am almost done, I hear a little peep coming from the corner. I look over and there is Freddy!

Mind you, it's not the same one as we had in the Summer, when Aaron was here. I know this, because Freddy number one perished, although we think it was Freddy number one. Now that I think about it, it could have been another mouse...anyway, we kind of adopted Freddy and put out little dishes with peanut butter and cheese for him in the basement, an area that Hootie could not get into. This went on for a little while until we noticed that the food was left untouched. We thought Freddy had moved on to greener pastures, maybe got tired of the same kind of cheese every time and needed a change, who knows. We had completely forgotten about Freddy until the spider eradication. Since we had brown recluse spiders in our house and KK had been bitten by a spider, we called pest control and they would come treat the house. In order for them to be able to get to all the baseboards, we had to move EVERYTHING 2 feet away from the walls. That is where Jim found Freddy, all dried up and completely dead.

So, this Freddy was completely alive and not going anywhere: he was stuck to one of those paper traps covered in glue that the spider people had placed all over the house. The poor thing was stuck from his cute furry face all the way to his tail! I got out Hootie's cage from storage and put Freddy in there so Hootie could not get to him and proceded to wake up Jim, who was not a happy camper at all. When Kaitlyn heard what I was telling him, she jumped out of bed, ready to get a good look at this cute mouse that she never got to see in the Summer. Operation Freddy began: I got out rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and water, not knowing which one would do the trick. Jim grumbled that he did not want KK to watch the mouse die; I told him Freddy was not going to die, I would not allow it! Slowly but surely, with Jim helping grudgingly, we got all body parts removed from the sticky pad. And then Freddy was loose and on the run! He escaped under the oven, where I promptly put a piece of cheese thinking he must be starving by now.

The rest of us washed our hands and rushed to get ready for the Buddywalk, where we had a grand time. Next year we will put together a team ourselves and raise a ton of money for DSAMT!

And when we came back home, I removed all of the sticky pads...