Friday, November 7, 2008

Election Day

I went to Sylvan Park to have lunch with Kaitlyn today, which was a lot of fun. The kids reminded me of my brief career as a preschool teacher and I miss it a little. Not a lot, just a little.
I was not exactly thrilled with the menu choices, though: hamburger, cheeseburger, or bean burrito and then you could have either peas or french fries with that. How come "either, or"? Why not have a choice of broccoli or peas, or carrots or peas? Ketchup as much as they want? You must be kidding! I will definitely have to mention this at the next PTO meeting.

It is an important day for the Kindergarten classes today: they will vote for their candidate of choice. Kaitlyn gave me her sticker. It says: Vote Sheep, with a big red circle with a red line through it, and the word "Duck" next to it. They are not voting Sheep. They are voting for Duck. Not Pig, or Horse or Cow either. Duck it is. Kaitlyn did tell me that she really wanted to vote for Horse (it's her favorite animal!). I will have to ask her if she actually voted for Duck and if yes, why. She should be able to decide for herself if she wants to vote for Horse, right? Is it peer (or "teacher") pressure? Maybe so.
Last week she told me that it was "voting day", that we had to vote for a president. We talked about Barack Obama and John McCain as I explained a little bit about the election.
She said: "Mommy, why can't they both be president?" I told her that would be a very good solution and that she was smart to think of it, but that they did not want to share the presidency.
"Okay", she said, "then maybe one can be the real president and the other one the pretend president." Yes, that is another good idea, but I think neither one wants to be the "pretend" one!
Then she wanted to know who I liked and I tried to explain that it isn't about who you like, but about whose plans and ideas you most agree with. When she asked me who I wanted to choose for president, I told her that I had not made up my mind yet, but that I liked some ideas of Obama better than McCain's, and that daddy would vote for McCain. When Jim picked her up from school she said:"Daddy, you should vote for Obama, just like mommy!" Thank you, baby.
Now, if she really wants to vote for Duck, then so be it. Duck for president!