Friday, June 22, 2012

From Couch to 5K

June 14th, 2012

I do not like to run. Never did and definitely never planned on making it part of my exercise routine. Then last year I heard pastor Pete talking about it in one of his sermons. Shortly after that I found out the leaders of our Dave Ramsey workshop were planning on running a 1/2 marathon for a good cause. All of them said how they did not like to run - at all - but were running with a purpose, for a good cause.
I started thinking about it. That was all, just thinking. No action whatsoever was planned on my part, but the seed had been planted, I guess. Okay, maybe I did buy a pair of running shoes. Then again I had done that before and they had ended up in my closet for 2 years and then moved on to (hopefully) better use with another family. But anyway...
So when I got the email for the Best Buddies 5K I immediately set up a team called "Zander's Biggest Fans". I was so psyched that I had actually signed up to run my very first 5K, and it is going to take place on my 46th birthday no less! I think that the date is the reason I saw this as a sign.
All right, so I was all signed up and had no clue where to start!
First thing I did was ask Angel to give me advice, and she told me to check into "from Couch to 5K". I discovered they had a really cool website with all kinds of tips for people like me who never ran in their life and now were hopping to get going. I downloaded the app onto my phone, and after a couple of small issues was able to get the music to go along with it.
I am ready to start training!